Wednesday 9 January 2013

Shooting

A number of people have asked me to elaborate on all of my recent blog references to the shooting at my school at the end of the 1980s. Seeing as nothing of any interest has happened to me today, and because the events that happened took place 25 years ago, almost to the day, I thought I’d regale readers with the full details as I remember them, and if any former “Ferrins” have other stories about the day, I’d be more than interested to hear them.
Wednesday January 6th, 1988. The Ferrers School, Higham Ferrers, Northamptonshire. It was an unremarkable January day in an unremarkable corner of England. I was in the 3rd year at the time, aged, I think, 13. It was the last lesson of the day. We were studying geography, and I was very excited about seeing the local “am dram” pantomime in Rushden that night. The windows of the classrooms were covered in condensation. I’m not quite sure why I remember that particular detail. As the bell went to signify the end of school, my best friend, Tammy and I, collected our things and decided to go down to the school office to get some new notebooks.
As we walked towards the main doors of the Humanities block, two fifth formers came bursting into the building, screaming for us to get back inside; “Mr XX has been shot!” they said. They were crying and shaking, and we sat with them outside our classroom for some time, attempting to calm them down whilst simultaneously trying to work out what on earth was going on. Mr XX was a much-loved English teacher. Why would anybody shoot him? Why would anybody shoot anyone? People didn’t get shot in Northamptonshire...
“It’s Darren Fowler,” said the girls, “he’s shooting everywhere and there’s blood all over the place. He’s looking for Mr YY,” (a science teacher, whom he hated.)
Everyone knew Darren Fowler. He was one of the tragic kids at school. He was two years older than me and had a greasy bowl haircut. He used to shuffle around the school inadequately, and we all took the piss mercilessly, until we realised he had a temper on him. There were always stories of him smashing roof tiles, freaking out and attacking teachers. He lived with his Mum and a string of mini-me brothers in a terraced house on the edge of town. We were told that his next door neighbours had once complained to the council because there was damp on the wall which separated them from the Fowler’s house. The council had apparently investigated, and discovered that the Fowler family were randomly peeing against the wall in their sitting room.
Rumour had it that Fowler had guns in his shed, and teachers at the Ferrers School had sent letter after letter to the authorities warning them that Fowler was out of control and needed help. These letters reached fever-pitch, when we heard the news that Michael Ryan had walked through the streets of Hungerford in late 1987, killing scores of innocent people. I still remember my father turning to me after we saw the first news reports about the massacre and saying; “we’ve got to keep an even closer eye on Darren Fowler now.”
Fowler had been expelled from the school towards the end of 1987 and had, we gathered, come back to seek revenge.
The kids in my part of the school were all ushered out of the back of the building and led to safety via the school field. We could see Darren Fowler on the concrete ground in front of the science block, with someone sitting on his stomach, and later found out that this was our games teacher, Mr Greenhall, who’d bravely rugby tackled Fowler to the floor, after monitoring the number of cartridges he had in his gun and striking the very moment he realised Fowler would need to reload.
Ten minutes earlier, Fowler had walked calmly into the school, armed with a rifle, and immediately shot through the staff room window where teachers who weren’t busy teaching were hit by flying glass. He’d then gone around the back of the school and reloaded his rifle before shooting at two first formers who were coming out of one of the temporary class rooms. I believe both were taken to hospital, but neither suffered life-threatening injuries.
Fowler had come across Mr XX leaving another temporary classroom at the end of lessons, and that’s when he shot him, at point blank range, before heading down towards the science block where he’d started indiscriminately shooting through classroom windows... and that’s when Mr Greenhall did his heroic act.
Back at home we waited for hours for my brother (in the year above) to return. Brother Edward was taught English by Mr XX, and we were desperately trying to find a copy of his time table to see whether he might have been affected. We had no idea how many children had been shot, but rumours were already flying around that there'd been a proper massacre. A few hours later Edward arrived home, rather casually saying he didn’t really know what the fuss was all about. They’d heard the gun shots and been locked into a CDT room, which had suited him just fine because it meant he could get on with his woodwork project! It was at least an hour before they were allowed to leave the room, one assumes after the police had arrived and taken Darren Fowler away.
Mr XX was rushed to hospital, where he spent, I seem to recall, as much as a year getting better.
The following day, the authorities swept into the school and removed every last letter or document which suggested that Fowler was a danger to the school and himself. It would, of course, have been incredibly damaging for them, and we know from the Hillsborough enquiry that this was the way that things worked in those days. None of the teachers wanted to lose their jobs, and I guess no one knew their rights as much back then.
The news was reported for a single day in the tabloids – on the front pages – and then it mysteriously disappeared... Just like the school documents. Now of course we can argue that no one was killed in the attack, but back then, (before Columbine and Dunblane) this kind of thing didn’t happen. There’s a list of school shootings in Wikipedia, which include a number of events in Germany and Holland where no one was actually killed and yet the Ferrers School is never mentioned. Google "Darren Fowler" and "Ferrers School shooting", and there are no reports.
Fowler went to jail (where we’re told he stabbed a fellow inmate) and all his identikit brothers were educated at the school. It really was as though nothing had happened.
And that is the story of the Ferrers School shooting as I recall it.
Front page news... (from Colindale library)

24 comments:

  1. Was talking about this event just after the shooting in America. I was infact in Australia at the time and remember reading about it in a local newspaper there! Louise x

    ReplyDelete
  2. i,m so glad no one got killed

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw it happen, we were coming out of the mobiles opposite.

    So you say you knew him? Really? I do remember you Ben, I just can't see you two getting along. I think the problem was that no one knew him. A less insulting view of his family would have gained you more more trust from your readers, and you would "look" better as a result of it. You also failed to mention the bullying he received from the science teacher which lead to such a tragic chain of events.

    I've read your piece now 3 or 4 times, I see you've not let the facts get in the way of a good story...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was a parent of two children at the Ferrers school at the time of the shooting. Being a fairly new school, it's the last thing you would expect to happen.

    There was very little sympathy for Darren Fowler at the time, as i recall. By the sound of it he and his siblings were very neglected.

    Back then, as long as you didn't have any bruises to show, the Social Services couldn't care less.

    I do hope that the people that were hurt have fully recovered, (Teachers and pupils) and Darren Fowler has come to terms with what he did and is at peace.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here here. I couldn't agree more. There's a follow up blog to this blog which I wrote yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Quite a few factual errors there Ben, I was also there and pretty much walked into Darren by the science/Art block.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tell me your account. All I know is what I saw and remember hearing at the time. What's the truth?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The shooting in the school in Connecticut reminded me of this event.
      25 years and suddenly it seemed like yesterday.


      Delete
  8. Just in case you want a few official sources, I found some:
    http://bufvc.ac.uk/tvandradio/lbc/index.php/segment/0000100206014
    http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=65pxTsLpusgC&pg=PT616&lpg=PT616&dq=darren+fowler+higham+ferrers&source=bl&ots=WZOtTX6h5f&sig=fkvfH_unAu536DIGV3XczSBIeY0&hl=en&sa=X&ei=WlqOUu-pIcuThgfMy4CwAg&sqi=2&ved=0CE4Q6AEwBA#v=onepage&q=darren%20fowler%20higham%20ferrers&f=false
    http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=2507&dat=19880625&id=8jNAAAAAIBAJ&sjid=T1kMAAAAIBAJ&pg=3452,6976776

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was in the 2nd year and it was a very scary experience!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I remember you Ben! I used to hang around with Natalie Austin (my name is Louise Robinson Not Carl Reynolds! I am using his kindle!) I was also in the Denfield school play of Oliver Twist - I was the soldier who shot Bill Sykes!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I also required surgery to remove two size 6 pellets from my cheek a short time after. I remember it like it was yesterday :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I did post before this one above,I was famous for 24 hours being on the front of every national tabloid access the UK.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I did post before this one above,I was famous for 24 hours being on the front of every national tabloid access the UK.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I also required surgery to remove two size 6 pellets from my cheek a short time after. I remember it like it was yesterday :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I remember Watching the teacher hit the floor and a sudden impact to my face, then some blood, I remember running out of the rear mobile door (H10) if I recall

    ReplyDelete
  16. I remember Watching the teacher hit the floor and a sudden impact to my face, then some blood, I remember running out of the rear mobile door (H10) if I recall

    ReplyDelete
  17. I remember Watching the teacher hit the floor and a sudden impact to my face, then some blood, I remember running out of the rear mobile door (H10) if I recall

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hey Ronnie. That is fascinating. I would love to hear some more of your memories from the day. Benj

    ReplyDelete
  19. I remember this all too well. Our class was in S1 at the time and he shot at the window as I and 3 others were looking out.....
    I often wonder if the hole is still in the brickwork about 6ins below the window.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As a current student i can confirm yes it is

      Delete
  20. I was there, he shot at me and my freinds as we were exiting the sports block/dance building, near the main assembly building. Wasn't a massive deal, I don't think he even wanted to really hurt anyone. Everyone seems to make a massive deal out of this, it was nothing really.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I went to rushden school and many of my friends went to higham (graduating 2011) we always grew up thinking that the shooting was an urban legend ... there is still a hole that kids used to say was a bullet hole ... we used to think it was all stories ... but after reading this harrowing story it might be true ... this is so bizzare to read ... i cant believe this happened ... as you said ... things like this dont happen in Northamptonshire... thank you for having the corrage to recall this story.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I wonder if Fowler is still inside? Today he would have painted a few fences wearing an orange vest. A few months later he would be back in the community. That is the joke about justice in Britain.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.