Saturday 6 April 2013

Gut instincts

I tried to phone the Post Office today. They've been regularly delivering next door's letters through our letter box. More Post Office hell came in the shape of their automated telephone system, which sent me looping through cyber space for a full five minutes. When I finally worked out which button to press for a real person, I ended up waiting on hold for 12 minutes, which was inexcusable, frankly. 

Still, the guy I ended up talking to was refreshingly un-belligerent and held his hands up, sympathising with my plight, which is about the best defuser for a situation. I ended up quite liking him, even though, by the time we'd finished talking, I'd gone into Muswell Hill, done some shopping and started to head home again. 

Today I made a start on the opening sequence for the White City film, (which really needs a name soon!) The opening is a curious fusion of Bach and something rather grungy and rock inspired. I've tried to keep it melodically simple, as people will be talking over the top of it, but I can already feel it heading to a very dynamic place, which might not be the best thing in the world. Who knows? The problem with being a composer is that you only ever have your instincts to go on.  As a result I reckon I place more on my gut than most, particularly when dealing with people. As I get older I give fewer and fewer people the benefit of the doubt. It tends to back fire. I met a woman once who used to get so stressed she'd bleed from the eyes. I thought she was insane but people told me to give her the benefit of the doubt. Never again! 

3 comments:

  1. Always strive to give the benifit of the doubt. At the end of the day they will remain who they are but if you stop showing kindness you fail to become the person you want to be (I hope). Claire Lawlor

    ReplyDelete
  2. I soooo identify with your experience with the Post Office. I had a similar saga with British Gas some years back - the exchange lasted over 7 months, spoke to a different person each time I phoned and had to start from scratch each time! Nearly drove me mad, but I got through it, a sadder and wiser person!! How it was handled for you struck a chord. As a conveyancing lawyer some years back, we were given an in-house course on 'phone rage' and being at the mercy of anxious, irate clients and belligerent estate agents, we needed some help! The most useful thing we were told was that it was ultra important to identify with the frustration of the caller and to admit any mistake or omission on our part and it always worked to diffuse the situation. Finally, I totally agree with you, Ben, that as the composer, you should stick to your instincts - the music is in your head and you know how it is supposed to sound. So, take other's comments with a smile but do what you think is right in the end. Silvia (Hart)

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.