Friday 12 July 2013

Postcards

7pm. I'm on the south coast, hurtling along on the railway line between West Worthing and Hove. I often find myself doing this route and it always seems to take much longer than it ought to to get from one town to the other. There are all sorts of strange-sounding seaside villages in between; Lancing, Port Slade, Shoreham on Sea. The light is amazing tonight, however. A low sun. Clean air. Everything deep green or gold. 

I've been with PK all day making a start on mixing the Great Fire movement from the Pepys Motet. It's almost impossible to know if it's going to be any good. It's definitely experimental, and quite epic-sounding, but some of the individual performances have left a little to be desired. There's a gaping gulf of difference between knowing how to read music and being spot on in time and in tune to a level which is good enough for a recording. It's intricate music and the slightest bum note is noticeable. Auto-tune has become our friend, and that makes me a little sad. 

Still, I guess the use of computer effects sends us in a new sonic direction, which is potentially much more exciting...

1.30am - I am staying the night with Fiona in Hove. Earlier on, we sat on the beach and watched the sun setting. A group of lads were sitting on the sea wall and were, at one stage, perfectly silhouetted against a giant bright orange sun. 

We had a lovely walk along the sea front and came back to Fiona's flat for pasta and I got to listen to her astonishing "Postcards"; a set of instrumental tracks scored for strings which are inspired by different places around the world. The sea air has made me feel very sleepy, which is nice. I'm hoping for breakfast on the beach in the morning. Perfect. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.