Sunday 3 November 2013

Reality bites

We're having an evening at Brother Edward's house watching the various results shows from various reality shows. Obviously I barely care about the results, but it's nice to see talentless people having the arrogant smiles wiped off their faces. I personally like it when they beg or look really shocked to be in the bottom two (Tamera.) Brilliantly lacking in dignity!

I love the cliches: more than 110% of acts this evening were literally singing for their lives.

The other cliche about British reality TV which I find a little distasteful is the tendency to bring out the white Grannie if the contestant is mixed race. It happens all the time. We've all seen it; the little film which gets played out before the act performs where we learn how close the contestant is to their (white) grandmother. Even Alesha Dixon on Strictly brought out her white Grannie. It's incredibly cynical and it makes me feel uncomfortable, almost as though the producers of the show want to remind viewers that the contestants are "one of us" lest they should think they're black, and therefore not worthy of a vote. Watch out for it. They did it with Leona Lewis as well.

We went to see Jem and Ian this afternoon for a meal at the Pizza Express in Totteridge and Whetstone and then went for tea and chocolate back at theirs. This is my last day of decadence before my strict diet and health regime begins. I'm mentioning it in the blog so any readers who see me stuffing my face can remind me not to. I mean it!

There's very little else to write about. The traffic has been awful in London today. We got horribly stuck around the Old Street area. It's a terrible bottle neck round there, even in the middle of the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.