Tuesday 14 January 2014

Back pains

It's been an incredibly long day which started with osteopathy in Borough. My osteopath very kindly gave me extra time, and an absolute pummelling to boot. There's a sense that my back pain could be ebbing towards "chronic" status, which means it's in stasis; neither improving nor getting any worse. He seems to think the only potential cure may be to change my entire approach to work. I am almost permanently glued to my lap top and  lap tops, particularly when used on sofas and in tube trains, are absolutely hopeless for posture. I apparently run the risk of developing bone spurs and all sorts if I continue to work so obsessively on them!

Of course it's not easy to hear that your lifestyle is potentially damaging your health and I genuinely don't know what my next step should be. I can't just suddenly stop working. I'd be bankrupt in seconds. I'm therefore faced with the dilemma I once had when a doctor told me I was stressed out and needed to take a bit of time off work, without seeming to realising that, because I was a freelancer, if I didn't work, I wouldn't be paid, which would have generated even more stress!

Anyway, we made a start this evening by swapping the sofas over in the living room, thereby dealing with the problem that the cushion I normally sit on has become threadbare and bucket-shaped, which is frankly no good for anyone's back!

There's not much else to say about today. Nathan and I have been working on a film pitch all evening, so, before I turn into a pumpkin, I should post this blog, do some stretches and dive into the nearest bed!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.