Thursday 9 January 2014

Sewing man

A somewhat stressful day, largely brought about by a general lack of food and writing nothing but ragtime music all day, which pushes me right to the edges of my ability! That, and realising that there's a million projects coming up which I'm going to need to juggle very carefully.

I spent the very early morning sewing! Not cross stitch or anything twee like that, but mending things. In austere times, why throw clothes away just because they've got holes in them? A few choice stitches and they're perfect for another month or so. I've brought a pair of linen trousers and some pyjama bottoms back to life, and this evening I'm going to tackle our duvet whilst watching Dancing On Ice. Last night, upon getting into bed, I found my leg actually entering an enormous rip in the duvet cover, and feel it could well be time to address the issue!

Of course being poor is a little stressful at times, but it also brings out a fighting creative spirit in me. It is, however, at times like this, that I find myself relieved a) not to own a house and b) not to have children. If the boiler were to break tomorrow, it would be my landlord's problem. If I had a family to support and a mortgage to pay, a single catastrophe of that sort would send me spinning out into the darkness.

I shall raise a toast this evening to the people I know who are bringing up children on a shoestring budget. Keep up the good work, don't let the bastards get you down, and sundry other platitudes...



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.