Tuesday 1 April 2014

LoveIsEveryone

Well today has been, quite frankly, extraordinary. It started with a terrible rude awakening. Nathan had forgotten to set the alarm and all I could hear was swearing and someone leaping out of bed. I had no idea what was going on. In my half-slumber I decided we'd actually managed to miss our own wedding!

It was 7am and a taxi had already arrived to take us to to Broadcasting House for an interview with the BBC World Service. We sat in relative silence during the journey. I was still terribly upset about a string of ghastly comments which had been written about us by Daily Mail readers, including perhaps the most dreadful piece of nonsense I've ever read: "Disgusting. In Germany in 1939 they would have been arrested and detained."

As the day wore on I became rather grateful to the bigots because it reminded me above anything that the fight against homophobia is not yet over and that we are doing the right thing by allowing our wedding to be seen on television because we have a duty to challenge entrenched perceptions about gay people!

From the BBC we went to ITV where we were interviewed by Philip and Holly on the This Morning sofa. How bizarre did that feel? For the record both of them are utterly delightful, very easy to talk to, and as charming in real life as their television personas.

The researchers also managed to pull out footage of Nathan dancing naked on the show in 2008 when he was in Naked Boys Singing. Hysterical.

I went up to Crouch End for the best part of the afternoon to eat soup and hang out with the Brass production team and thrash out some ideas for the show's set. It felt like a rather curious oasis in a day of wedding publicity. It was also brought to a rather speedy end by the arrival of a car to take me back to the BBC for an interview with Huw Edwards. There was a bit of a mix up with the car and some heavy traffic, the combination of which meant that I arrived, panting in the studio, a minute after the interview had started. Nathan was manfully holding the court, but the decision was made to insert me into the interview. It's not often you see a guest clambering into shot on live television. But clamber I did. Fortunately I was too het up to feel embarrassment!

From the BBC we returned to Highgate to almost immediately head back into town for the screening party of Our Gay Wedding: The Musical at Soho House.

It's difficult to think either of us will ever forget the experience of watching the show with our phones in our pockets going absolutely bananas. Every second, a mini vibration would tell me another message has come in on twitter. We trended world-wide, I gained 300 followers and, astonishingly, the majority of comments were overwhelmingly positive.

Our hashtag #LoveIsEveryone went global and messages poured in to say how moved, touched, excited and proud people felt. A curious piece in the Metro online even described the wedding as "better than Wils and Kate's" which was, of course, insane.

The guests at our little screening party got progressively drunker. Even I started drinking shots. Well one shot. Franschene, the registrar became delightfully paralytic and my good mate Cindy did a face plant off her Gaga heels, shouted at our commissioning editor and then vanished. We've no idea where she's gone, but with any luck the euphoria of the evening, and the fact that she was in Soho has kept her safe.

We're home now, and I have to get to bed as we're off to France first thing in the morning. It seems to be 3am.

I leave you with two thoughts.

1) In the words of Kate Bush, "every old sock meets an old shoe"

And

2) Love Is Everyone

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.