Sunday 10 May 2015

Let's Get Quizzical

Today's been manic. Utterly and profoundly manic. Good manic, I reckon, but I also smell a bit manic, which is considerably less appealing...

We had our music quiz today. It was all rather lovely, and I'm proud to say we made £362 of the £500 we need to release the album, so it was worth the hard graft and the sleepless nights. My only slight disappointment was that my stereo system seems to have broken and was spewing out music at about half its usual volume, so it all got a bit uncomfortable in the rounds which required people to listen to the subtleties of a vocal performance to identify a singer. Anyway, the quizzers were hugely understanding and I'm sure everyone had a fabulous time.

The turn out was pretty good considering how bad we thought it was going to be. I was disappointed that none of the Fleet Singers made it along, primarily because the quiz was happening on their patch. I would have liked a few more of the Brass cast there as well, but top marks to Josef, Ben, Tom, Josh and Harry who represented the show and actually managed to come second over all, which I thought was deeply impressive considering they had the youngest average age! They got to be on a team with internet sensation and singing impersonator, Christina Bianco, who came with the lovely Joe from the Rebel Chorus, so I think they left feeling like they'd won first prize!

As it happened, my family's team won! Slightly embarrassing, but I assure you that I was being incredibly strict with the marking and giving no preferential treatment.

We had television cameras there, who were shooting footage for the project we're hoping to make towards the end of the year. I can't really talk about details. Neither could I tell anyone there why someone was coming up to them asking what their favourite musical was, and why... I assure you it will all make sense, as and when we get the green light...

After the quiz we went off to The Lord Palmerston pub half way up Dartmouth Park Hill and had some food and a pint of lemonade and lime. Bizarrely, Ed Miliband was sitting on the next door table with a group of friends. I think we were all a bit shocked and saddened to see him. We all agreed he looked a little haunted. Life is so peculiar isn't it? One day you're wondering if you're going to be the next British prime minister, the next you're in a North London pub, without a job, licking your wounds, wondering why it all went so wrong...

At sunset, Nathan, Abbie, Ian, Josh, Meriel, Edward, Sascha, my parents and I walked to the top of Parliament Hill and peered down across the magnificent views of London with a warm wisteria-scented spring breeze rustling our hair. It turns out that there could have been no nicer place to be at that particular time on a day like today. I love that place more than words can say. Whatever the weather.

We came home and switched on the telly to find our mate, Alison Jiear, mega-acing her audition for Britain's Got Talent. If you're wondering why you know the name, it's because Ali sang the song Yellow at our wedding. She also recorded the demo for the Eurovision song we wrote that the BBC didn't even rate enough to put through to the second round! They'll learn to listen to me one day...

Anyway. We've got a house full tonight. My mate Jo is staying with us. As is Josh, who is assisting me on tomorrow's shoot. The weather has held off, and it looks like it might be rather pleasant tomorrow, so everything seems to be slotting into place. I have two more insanely busy days to get through before I can stop and take stock of my life and if you thought today sounded hectic, you just wait til you hear about tomorrow!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.