Sunday 17 December 2017

In vino veritas

Tonight is the first time I’ve actually managed to sit down and relax for what seems like days. I’ve had a bath and am watching telly. The weekend has been mostly spent in the synagogue with a morning service on Saturday and a wedding this afternoon. It was actually my first ever Jewish wedding, which I find almost unbelievable. I didn’t really get a chance to see much of the action. They’d erected a little pergola in the synagogue and the choir were sat up on a platform from where our view was somewhat blocked but it all seemed to go smoothly enough.

So, apart from that, my weekend was all about learning music. I did manage a drink with Michael and one of his friends on Friday night where I actually drank a whiskey! I know! Hash tag alcoholic. I quite like whiskey, but tend to keep this fact to myself because, in my experience, drinkers often like to have other people around them drinking. If you announce that you quite like a certain tipple, people just keep on buying you glasses and I’m really not in the market for the expense or the affect it might have on me. It sometimes feels as though no one can enjoy themselves unless a) they’re drinking and b) everyone around them is drinking. I personally don’t believe I’ve ever been less fun as a result of not drinking. I can, however, name plenty of occasions when I’ve been less fun BECAUSE of drinking, and plenty more where people I know have become utter monsters as a result of getting drunk. Garrulous. Abusive. Boring. Inappropriately coquettish and flirty. Aggressively right wing.... I just don’t think the taste of alcohol can be that worthwhile! And very few people seem to know when to call it a day. Sometimes I think if “in vino vertitas” is true then I must know one or two prannies! There are very few people, if any, in my life who actually become nicer people when they’ve had one too many! 

Alcohol rant over!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.