Friday 2 March 2018

Beaming

Today found us battling through the snow to get to Stratford East Theatre Royal. It was the second day of BEAM: a festival of new British musical theatre which happens every two years. I had been invited to do a “pitch” which means I was given a ten minute slot on the main stage to sell myself as a writer. Instead of sticking to songs from Em, I was encouraged by the organisers to sell my back catalogue of work, so I wrote a medley of songs from Brass, Beyond the Fence and Em, which Llio, Laura, Abbie, Jack, Chris, Michael and Alex performed with gusto and great joy. I was so proud of them. I didn’t get a chance to see many of the other pitches - we spent the day rehearsing and being ferried around by stage managers - but I would say we were definitely one of the most professional teams. Clare Chandler bounded up to me afterwards and said “now THAT’S how to do a pitch.” Yet again, I felt proud. And so grateful to my musical family, who, it seems, are always there for me.

I delivered a little bit of a political speech beforehand. It was more of a rallying cry, actually, but I also made the point that people have got to stop looking for the next Hamilton. Hamilton has happened. We should focus on discovering and promoting the next great show. “Support us whilst we write from our British hearts” I said, “and we will reward you with gold. Let’s go out there and change the world with musical theatre!” Sometimes I wish I had more of a platform to instigate change. I passionately believe that there are writers in that space - Chris Ash, Dougal Irvine, Craig Adams, Eamonn O’Dwyer and many more - who, with the right level of funding could invade Broadway. But we’re all too busy teaching, scraping a living and worrying about being old. 

So that’s another ticked box. Another thing achieved in my three-week period of utter mayhem.

My back aches, I am so tired that my eyes are bloodshot, but I go to bed a very happy and grateful man.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.